Tokyo Disney Resort News
Cheese Past its "Best By" Date is Served to Guests
January 19th, 2007
Use of Cheese Past its "Best by" Date
URAYASU, CHIBA -- Oriental Land Co., Ltd. has announced that some mozzarella cheese was used one day past its "best by" date in nine servings of "Caprese" (a cheese and tomato appetizer). The Caprese was served at Eastside Cafe in Tokyo Disneyland Park on January 18, 2007 between 11:30 a.m. and 2:10 p.m. Oriental Land Co. considers this to be a very serious matter and will strengthen its procedures to prevent any reoccurrence of this kind, as well as to observe proper work flow and checks.
1. Facts regarding this incident
- Menu Name: Caprese, served as an appetizer for the Pasta Course (two types, 1,680 yen and 1,980 yen) and the Entree Course (two types, 2,580 yen and 2,880 yen). This is one of five appetizers that guests can choose from.
- Sold at: Eastside Cafe in Tokyo Disneyland Park
- Number Sold: Nine servings
- Time of Guest Orders: 11:37 a.m., 11:44 a.m., 12:18 p.m., 12:20 p.m., 12:49 p.m., 13:09 p.m., 13:48 p.m., 13:51 p.m., 14:03 p.m.
Ingredient that was past its "best by" date
- Ingredient: Mozzarella Cheese
- Best By Date: January 17, 2007
- Amount used: 18 pieces (two eight-gram pieces per serving)
2. Preventing a Reoccurrence
- 9:30 a.m. In preparation for opening the restaurant, one case of mozzarella cheese was rushed from the Oriental Land Co.'s food warehouse and received by the restaurant.
- 10:00 a.m. Food preparation work began
- 11:30 a.m. Restaurant opened
- 2:00 p.m. Three additional cases of mozzarella cheese were received by the same restaurant from the company's food warehouse. During the process of checking, it was discovered that the "best by" date was for the day before (January 17).
- 2:10 p.m. The mozzarella cheese received at 9:30 a.m. was immediately checked and when it was discovered that it was past the "best by" date, sales of the menu were stopped.
- 3:15 p.m. Sales began again using mozzarella cheese with "best by" date good until February 2007.
Strengthen the management of product "best by" dates and product consumption dates at the food warehouse. We will set up a new inventory management system and also institute a double-check system by two persons in charge at the time products are dispatched.
Strengthen the management of product "best by" dates and product consumption dates at all restaurants. We will have a system of double-checking by the supervisor and the person in charge at the restaurant for all check work and of recording permanently all check work.
Strengthen the management of product "best by" dates and product consumption dates at times of rush dispatches. We will have a system of double-checking by the dispatcher and the person in charge at the restaurant.
As "best by" dates are set to provide more leeway than "consume by" dates, in general there is no harm to humans if products past their "best by" date are consumed. However, Oriental Land Co. wishes to sincerely apologize to the nine guests who were served the menu thereby causing them inconvenience. Guests who ordered the Caprese on the date and times noted above are requested to contact the Tokyo Disney Resort Guest Relations Center at 047-310-0733.
©Oriental Land Company
-- Sources: Oriental Land Company